I’m in the middle of the Cell Unit now. We’ve already established the structure and function of the cell membrane and are now working on the structure and function of the nucleus. The Cheek Cell Lab went off without a hitch and the post-lab discussion revealed that my kids remembered that the nucleus was the “control center” of the cell and it contained DNA. One class remembered that the letters for DNA were A,T,C,G. At this point we transitioned to the DNAi.org Activity about DNA structure. Next year I think I will add in a DNA Extraction Lab in between the Cheek Cell Lab and the DNAi.org Activity. I find that students “get” DNA better after they have seen actual DNA. In the past I’ve used a strawberry DNA Extraction from the Exploring Life Textbook by Campbell, Williamson et. al. One of the other teachers in the department does an extraction using cheek cells and a “mouthwash” solution. I think I’ll try to combine these two labs together. I really like the idea of extracting DNA from cheek cells after the kids observed their own cheek cells under the microscope. The kids will get a macro view of DNA from the abstraction and we can then transition to a micro view of DNA with the DNAi.org Activity. Later this Spring or in the Summer I’ll purchase the DNA model kits depending on when the district frees up some money.
- RT @AP_Trevor: The 2017 AP Biology scores: 5: 6.2%; 4: 20.9%; 3: 36.7%; 2: 27.8%; 1: 8.4%. 2 days ago
- RT @AP_Trevor: AP Biology students and teachers have achieved the highest number of scores of 3+ of any of the past 5 years. #equityandexce… 2 days ago
- RT @John_D2017: My esteemed colleague in this photo! :) twitter.com/MaineHumanitie… 2 weeks ago
- RT @thebiospace: Increasing Salaries So Teachers Don't Have To Become Principals n.pr/2smKXD9 2 weeks ago
- RT @ALGSAlliance: 5½-year-old girl from Windham makes video inspire others w/ rare genetic condition wcsh6.com/news/local/5-1… via @WCSH6 #… 3 months ago
These folks say interesting stuff…
- MDOE SciTech Framework
- The Optimist
- Kate's Krew
- Just Another Teacher in Maine
- Gary G. Abud, Jr.
- Science teacher
- Wisdom Begins with Wonder
- Ecology of Education
- What It's Like on the Inside
- Granted, and...
- Science Education on the Edge
- Lab Out Loud
- The Art of Teaching
- Science for All
- Physics! Blog!
- Practical Theory